If you're anything like us, before switching to natural deodorant we'd never heard of an armpit detox. Nonetheless, it's definitely something you should be aware of and prepared for if it does occur. And we promise, it's not as bad as it sounds!
You see, after many years of using commercial aluminium-based antiperspirants and deodorants, it may take your body a little time to adjust to an all-natural deodorant. This is because aluminium blocks sweat glands to stop you sweating and your body becomes reliant on these chemical nasties, essentially forgetting how to naturally correct any bacterial imbalances on its own.
Once you switch to a natural deodorant and stop using aluminium to clog all those underarm glands, some people may find they go through an initial detox period, where they sweat or stink more than usual. Not to fear! It's not that your natural deodorant doesn't work, it's simply the body expelling all of those toxins that have been trapped in your armpits all this time! Can you blame them for wanting to escape?!
This detox period can last anywhere from a couple of days, to a couple of weeks, depending on the person and just how much gunk is trapped in their pores. Please persevere and stick with natural deodorant; your body will adjust and be healthier for it!
To assist with the detox period, KIND-LY created The Armpit Detox - a 7 day armpit mask that helps draw out impurities, clear skin and assist in the transition to natural deodorant.
How To Use The Armpit Detox
- Squeeze a small amount onto fingertips and apply a thin layer to clean dry armpits.
- Relax for 10-15 minutes as the mask dries and works its magic.
- Rinse off in shower with warm soapy water.
- Repeat application daily for 7-14 days and then once per week for maintenance as desired.
May be applied morning or night. Ensure that armpit is clean and dry before applying product.
Tips To Get You Through The Armpit Detox
- Keep Up The Fluids. Drinking plenty a water during a detox is important as it assists in removing toxins from your body and keeping you hydrated. H20 for the win! 🚰💧
- Set Your Armpits Free. Give your underarms a little air and room to breathe by wearing lightweight, breathable fabrics. Avoid synthetic fibres and anything the clings tightly to the underarms.
- Watch What You Eat. Certain foods will change the way your body odour smells. Red meat and alcohol are probably the biggest culprits, so if possible aim for a mainly vegetarian diet during your detox period, which will help maintain a neutral body odour. Beware also of any food with a strong odour, such as garlic and onions. 🥗🍏
- Dry Off Properly After Showering. Be sure to carefully dry off your underarms after showering. Bacteria love warm, moist environments and the last place we want bad bacteria growing is in our pits.
- Sweat It Out. Don't be afraid of sweat during a detox. In fact, a little exercise (or sauna) to build up a sweat will help to speed up the detoxification process as your body relearns how to function and control bacteria again. 🏃🏽♀️💦
- Go Natural. During and after your armpit detox, it's important to only use natural deodorant. If you revert back to aluminium antiperspirants and deodorants again, you've just defeated the purpose of the detox. And guess what? Your pores will again start to get clogged with all the nasties that you just expelled! 🍃🌿